Episode 6: Children with ASD in inclusive education
Hello Dear listeners, I am happy to announce the next podcast episode on the topic “Children with ASD in inclusive education” with special education expert Dr. Diane Adreon!
Dr. Adreon has worked with children and adults with ASD and their families for more than 30 years. Dr. Adreon is a consultant focusing on Autism and other developmental disabilities and intervention in schools and clinics. She received her doctorate in special education from Nova Southeastern University and a Master’s in special education and applied behavior analysis from Teachers College, Columbia University.
Our discussion focused on student inclusion and education:
- What inclusion is and what to take into consideration when planning the inclusion of a child with ASD into the educational process;
- What strategies can help and support the child at school;
- The importance of an individualized education program;
- Conflict management strategies;
- Dr.Adreon’s book “Simple strategies that work!”, etc.
Dr. Adreon’s books:
- “Special Considerations for Students with High-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Guide for School Administrators” (Adreon & Myles, 2017).
- “Asperger Syndrome and Adolescence: Practical Solutions for School Success” with Dr. Brenda Smith Myles, which was honored by the Autism Society of America as the Outstanding Literary Work of 2002.
- “Simple Strategies That Work!” – helpful Hints for All Educators of Students with Asperger Syndrome, High-Functioning Autism, and Related Disabilities (Myles, Adreon & Gitlitz, 2006).
You can use free Autism Internet Modules (AIM) to get the information on different topics about Autism Spectrum Disorder and methods based on Applied Behavior Analysis principles -> click here https://autisminternetmodules.org/
Organization for Autism Research (OAR) provides guidebooks, manuals, and booklets for parents, self-advocates, educators, clinical professionals, military families, and first responders (police officers, fire fighters, etc.) -> click here https://researchautism.org/
Dr. Adreon mentioned the book “Perfect targets: Asperger Syndrome and bullying – practical solutions for surviving the social world” (Rebekah Heinrichs, 2003).
Thank you for attention! Enjoy this episode!